Week 2(2) Independent study - Portraits

Homework for this week were 4 portraits. A person from a newspaper, a friend, a favourite musician and a 1850-1980 photograph. I wanted to try crosshatching as a shading method for all of these because it seems like a fast and effective way of shading and I haven't done much of it in the past so I wanted to practice.

Person from newspaper, 10min
I liked the lighting in this picture, it was quite dramatic. It proved to be more difficult than I'd expected so I didn't have time to do the background and the whole face looks a bit off. I like how the light on the nose and lips turned out, though.

Friend (Dominika) 20 min

Musician (Marko Saaresto from Poets of The Fall) 30min
There was a blue light in the picture so I thought I'd just go with that. I don't like how the crosshatching looks on bigger areas here, but I think I've managed to capture the light in the picture well so there's at least that. 

Historical photo (Carrie Fisher) 45min
I couldn't really think of a historical figure I'd want to draw, but then I realised the person didn't have to die before 1980, the picture just had to be from before that.
This was a bit more challenging because facial expressions are very difficult for me, especially when the person is smiling. 
Previous
Next Post »
0 Komentar