Week 5 - Life drawing - subtractive tone

This week we focused on light and shadow. We covered the paper in charcoal and then erased the lightest areas, added the darkest areas, ... I've never done a tonal drawing this way so this was new and challenging for me. I feel like these were definitely some of my weaker works.
 The first obvious problem here is the composition. The figure doesn't fit on the paper and the proportions are all wrong too. I guess I've ignored accuracy while trying to focus on getting the light right. I'm also aware that I wasn't really drawing the figure as a whole which was probably the main reason for the disproportionality. 

 While working on this I felt like it was going pretty well but now I'm not so sure. The shadows could've been darker and there are almost no midtones, making it look flat. 
This was the last, 20min drawing. Aside from the rushed background I think it turned out ok. Still a lot of things to improve, but at least the proportions are better than in the first one. 
Previous
Next Post »
0 Komentar